- Prescribe according to the BNF.
- Avoid prescribing off licence medications (i.e. melatonin) without first discussing them with your trainer. You may have to follow agreed shared care protocols.
- Ask the trainer to induct you to the surgeries repeat prescribing policy
- If you sign a prescription you are responsible for it (even if it was issued by another person) so check it carefully.
- Always ask about allergies, and drug reactions.
- Prescribe carefully in women of child bearing age. Consider the impact of your prescription should the woman became pregnant.